Monday, April 4, 2011

Rush rocks

I went to see Rush on their first concert initiating the second half of the Time Machine world tour. Ernesto, a friend, had organized the tickets and motivated me to go. I did take the opportunity and went remembering what I knew from the band during the 80s, especially having their most popular song Tom Sawyer still echoing in my head. Ignorant about the last development of this group and having heart that many old rockers were back on stage because Napster and co had drastically reduced CD sales income, I did not have big expectations. My first surprise when I arrived at the Bank Atlantic center in Sunrise was to see a crowd of all ages, of course more over 40 like me, but still quite diverse and many with Rush t-shirts. I thought, wow they have many real fans. More and more people entered the hall while I was waiting for my Venezuelan friends. They arrived JIT (just in time) and the concert started with a funny intro sketch video acted by the band members and in which the time machine game was started. All my neighbors already had a beer handy, best practice I will adopt next time to get in the mood of enjoyment right from the beginning. Beer or not, the concert was an absolute pleasure. These three guys who are in their fifties sound better than ever, with the musical maturity that only years of continuous development can bring and the excellence of perfect practice and live execution of their best creations. Starting with the almighty Neil Peart, he drives the percussion engine of the rock symphony Rush gunning beats and sounds to produce a rumbling of an earthquake coming from the center of the earth and  finishing in outer space - amazing. Then Geddy Lee with his witch voice, who since the 70s has even improved looks, but still could be playing the role of a wizard in a Harry Potter movie with his long black hair and round glasses. He plays the base with ease like a guitar and has still the vocal power of a well tuned trumpet. Last but not least, Alex Liveson, the playful electric guitar, so natural, so skilled that one cannot imagine any better way of making magic with six strings. Rush, three guys that sound like 20, are the only band where the instruments appear like singing or talking voices and the vocalist sounds like an instrument, all in harmony as a total and still unique in their presence. Very sophisticated, but at the same time ground solid. What can I say more, the show, the lights, the theme, the endurance, three hours with only one break, incredible? Just go and see them live, or at least buy their Live in Rio or R30 anniversary DVD and enjoy it with some friends and beer through a good sound system. Although they have always been around doing great work, it took me to experience this concert to appreciate the quality of this trio. A quality experience is all you need to obtain a new follower. Thanks to Ernesto and a great performance I can now say: Rush rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment